Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I Have A Date With Spring



A real treat for me last night at Pentas 1, KLPac (Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre), Sentul West. The 145-minutes were worth every cent and every applause on this well-staged production by Dama Orchestra. Superbly presented and for me, it was nostalgia from beginning to end.
I would have liked to have them sing more songs; more of the classic oldies but then there was a story to tell....

I could relate to all the Mandarin and English numbers but the Cantonese oldies were just "new" tunes to me.... all the same, sweet music to my ears.

Synopsis from the programme booklet:
"I HAVE A DATE WITH SPRING is a musical adaptation of the nostalgic and heart warming stage and movie productions, which won the Best Screenplay for Raymond To at the Hong Kong Film Awards. It has also staged to critical acclaims in Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai.
Set in the 1960s-1980s, I HAVE A DATE WITH SPRING followed the dreams, hopes, loves, trials and tribulations of four aspiring singers - Butterfly Liu (Tan Soo Suan), Lulu (Janet Lee), Nancy (Fang Chyi Chang) and Feng Ping (CassieWong) - whose lives become increasingly entangled while doing their singing stints at the well-known Lai Fa Palace nightclub. They became the dearest of friends. However, they had to part ways eventually, but planned to meet up for a reunion concert at the club before the building was pull down.
Butterly Liu, who went on to become a celebrated singer, agreed to return to her home again after having been away for many years, to perform at the charity concert. And everyone associated with the Lai Fa Palace did return for the reunion. Many had returned to settle unfinished business while some, like Liu, had to come to terms with the ghosts of their past."

The last show at KLPac is November 1, 2009. It is tempting to go back for another session!!

For me, two particular songs continue to ring and hum.........
Romance By The Xin Hua River (杏花溪之恋) and
Where Do I Go From Here (我找到自己)。

No comments:

Post a Comment