Thursday, September 17, 2009

Silent Listener?

Is my God merely a silent listener to every conversation and prayer??
Has my God been consistent in switching off or putting himself on a "mute mode" once a while, since ancient of days? Or is He simply infinitely incomprehensible by men over the thousands of years?

Men have cried out before the arrival of the Saviour....
"I cry out to you, O God but you do not answer; I stand up but you merely look at me" (Job 30:20).
"You have covered yourself with a cloud, so that no prayer can get through" (Lamentations 3:44).

Men are still crying out now...
"'Does God answer prayers?' looms larger and larger as a tormenting question. Does he know or care?" (J O Fraser)
"My prayer seems as dead a rock. The truth is I do not feel much, if anything when I pray" (Henri Noumen)
"I feel that the God I was bringing to my friends was passive and silent... and seemingly unable....
If God wants to speak to me, He knows where I am...
Is the lost sheep to go to the Shepherd or the Shepherd goes to the lost sheep? Despite the lost sheep's MANY attempts...
I do not experience the Holy spirit putting words into my mouth as the Bible claims..." (Mak Kor)

Lately, I have been praying for my brother and his family in YamBee Ipoh that peace, calm and normalcy would return and that he would quickly recover from his condition after returning to his medication.... It is a trying period for mom and all at YamBee... What else can we do except to seek His intervention?

Or do my prayers fall under one of the 15 categories of "Why prayers are not answered" by Pete Greig ("God on Mute")... viz. Stupidity, Contradictory prayers, Relationship, Free Will, Sins, Justice, Perservation, Influence, Faith, Law of Nature, Motive, Doctrine, God's best, Life is tough and Satanic opposition?

" Unanswered prayer poses an especially serious threat to the faith of trusting children" - Philip Yancey.

The country musician, Garth Brooks has a lighter version of God's unanswered prayer to his "dream girl" who eventually did not turn out to be a dream afterall..... he was glad he did not marry her..... and he concluded, "Just because He does not answer, does not mean He does not care. Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."
I guess it is easier humanly speaking, on hindsight, to make such conclusion .... but when one is in the middle of a crisis.... anxiety and disappointment rule the day..

I can only try to emulate the man in Mark 9:24 "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

No comments:

Post a Comment