Monday, February 15, 2010

Friendship - a short note

This short note (some complained too long) was written for my golfing buddies in NZ...

Most of us here are enjoying the sunset of our lives in this "Land of the long white clouds"..... some of us have achieved great things (and acquired great wealth); some of us have survived all the big mistakes in our walk on this earth; some of us are still trying to achieve greater heights. Wherever you are, be thankful for who you are and all the blessings.

We are from different background but are here in NZ for various different reasons and we choose to share our times whenever we can get together.

Friendship, to me, is vital in our daily living. The relation between friends must be mutually contributing and mutually respecting with sincerity and genunity to accept/tolerate each other's strengths and flaws.

Communication and clarification of any miscommunication is key. People must be prepared to take time and effort to approach the other party DIRECTLY and if there are really insurmountable fundamental differences, then the relationship can take a more superficial level without having to force any major change of behaviour from either party. We demand the government to be fair and transparent.....let's start with ourselves, with no hidden agendas.
Even in the harsh world of politics, there was a special bond between President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill during those World War days... they knew one another's strengths and flaws, and at times, they made fairly cutting remarks and were critical of each other. They were there for each other in times of dire need and were able to prevail and shape the world's destiny during their time in power.

We are in the twilight of our lives and my philosophy is to take the days as they come as blessings to share them with our loves ones and our friends, without intimidation or obligation or being patronizing.

I enjoy taking and sharing photos to all the MMC and as usual most of the time very few actually expressed your thanks and appreciation in the email. No worries. I think all of you do (but quietly, Chinese style).
I will continue to take photos and share them (as long as they do not offend/embarrass any individual in particular - no malice but just for fun in some cases), the intention is to share the moments and as my personal diary of things I do with my friends (even though my face rarely featured - it does not add value, I know). If you specifically do not want to be captured in my camera, please tell me direct too.

Friendship cannot be forced and cannot be on equal status all across the board. To me, a small group of mutually congenial friendship with depth and quality is more valuable. The breadth of friendship without quality is not worth pursuing.

p/s: as I told you guys before, getting old has got me more and more philosophical (and busy-body giving unsolicited grandfatherly advice). Delete it or take this in a positive note, can?

No comments:

Post a Comment