Monday, July 26, 2010

Made For Bigger Things

When I was climbing up the corporate ladder, particularly beginning the late 1980s culmulating in the early 2000s, I had this infamous phrase which was known to all my colleagues and bosses... "I am made for bigger things".

Indeed, that spurred me on and I was lucky to have encoutered the opportunities to expand my roles until attaining the pinnacle of my career, as the expat MD of a MNC based in Thailand.
"Made for bigger things" meant the accomplishments of bigger roles, which came with the commensurate bigger power, rewards and recognition. Along the way, and over the years, I must have impacted some positive influence on many young people's career development and enhancement.

Post retirement, I have come across two more quality phrases...."Made for Significance" by Dr Randolph Walters and "Made for Goodness" by Desmond Mpilo Tutu, the Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1984 from South Africa.

Dr Randolph defines "Success without significance is empty self-centredness." Significance suggests value and it connects ourselves with the sense of our humanity.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu says, "Goodness changes the way we see the world, the way we see others, and, most importantly, the way we see ourselves. It affects how we treat people. It affects the quality of life for each and all of us. This quality is the sum total of our daily interactions. Each kindness enhances the quality of life. Each cruelty diminishes it."

As long as you are still granted the time to walk this planet, there are still opportunities to make a difference, to be made of significance and of goodness.

In layman terms, money and success can buy you luxuries but cannot buy you Class!

No comments:

Post a Comment