Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stolen Prayer

The Weiling Wall in Old Jerusalem City, which I had the privilege of visiting in 2007, is full of pieces of papers containing prayers of worshippers of God, irrespective of their religion but mainly from the Jews. These private prayers are collected periodically and are buried in the Mount of Olives.

One such paper did not make it to Mount of Olive. It was stolen from the Western Wall in July 2008 and was published by a local Israelist newspaper, which contains the following prayer:

"Lord - Protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will.

The writer of this piece of paper is Barack Obama, now the 44th President of the United States of America.

There was no official protest from Obama or his political team at the time of its publication, as he was the Democratic nominee for the Presidency. Was this intended as a public prayer for public office?

No comments:

Post a Comment